ESA BIC Madrid Region is the Business Incubation Centre of the European Space Agency (ESA) and the Community of Madrid, coordinated by the madri+d Foundation, which provides incentives to enable entrepreneurs (incubatees) to receive commercial and technical assistance in order to set up their business using space technology for general non-space industrial, scientific and commercial uses ("spin-off") or using non space technology for proposing products and services for the space sector ("spin-in")1.
Since 2004, ESA Business Incubation Centres (ESA BICs) - set up by ESA's Office of Technology Transfer - have provided technical and business development support to new European companies.
The ESA Business Incubation Centre (BIC) Madrid Region opens in 2015 and is managed by Fundación madri+d (Madrimasd Knowledge Foundation) and supported by the Regional Government of Madrid. The programme is 50% co-financed by ESA and by the Regional Ministry of Economical Affairs, Employment and Treasury. ESA funding has been guaranteed through the Spanish Delegation at the ESA, consisting of the Ministry of Industry, Energy and Tourism through its General Secretariat of Industry and Small and Medium Enterprises, and the Center for Development Industrial technology (CDTI).
Benefits for participants
ESA BIC Madrid Region provides financial, technical and business support incentives to eight business projects each year:
- 50,000 euros in two years: 50% for prototype development, software development, etc. 50% for new employment linked to product or market development.
- Access to the European network of ESA BICs coordinated by ESA-TTPO.
- Technical support by Program partners for product, software and prototype development.
- Specific advice and mentoring for new companies.
- International Contacts
- Support in the search for funding
Requirements for participation
- Have an entrepreneurial project or a startup with less than 5 years of life that uses space technology for general non-space industrial, scientific and commercial uses ("spin-off") or uses non space technology for proposing products and services for the space sector ("spin-in")
- Follow the indications and conditions of participation reflected in the open call (link to download below).
- High growth potential.
- Registered address of the company in the Community of Madrid, in one of the four locations of the incubator ESA BIC Madrid Region, no later than 6 months after its incorporation into the program. Locations: Montegancedo Business Centre (UPM), Leganés Technological Business Incubator (UC3M), Madrid Science Park (PCM) and Móstoles Business Incubator (URJC).
How to apply?
- Choose the university where you wish to locate your business
- Contact the ESA BIC manager
- Download the Permanent Open Call for Proposal for your application guidance
- Download and fill in the Application Template
- Send your signed and completed application files to the ESA BIC manager
1These “spin-in” products and services shall address innovative solutions, possibly in conjunction with new business models, for the future space industry, aka “Space 4.0”. Beyond applications of space systems, which are already eligible to ESA BICs, “spin-in” encompasses solutions for optimising or developing processes, components, subsystems (up to an entirely new space system), all along the space value chain of payloads, satellites, launchers and ground stations, from concept definition, construction, manufacturing, assembly, integration, and testing all the way to launch, operations, and evaluation, using for instance COTS from non-space sectors, contemporary automation, big data, data exchange and manufacturing technologies, such as 3D-printing.